Michael McKelvy

Default Hafler (the first MOSFET? I don't think so)

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message

"=(8888)=" wrote in message
"Sander deWaal" emitted :

I still have a Sony amp from 1975, but they used VFETS,

not
MOSFET's.
If
you
overlook the device construction difference, then I

think
Sony
were
the
first to use high power FET's in a power amp. Sony

invented
the
VFET,
the
Hitachi power MosFET's came later.

IIRC, Yamaha had an amp around that time (B1 or B2?) with

2SK77
MOSFETS. A giant beast, and those transistors looked like
2N3055s
on
steroids (twice the size of a TO-3) . Cool!

What is the general consensus for the sound of MOSFET

amps?
had
Session guitar amp that employed MOSFETs, was very clean

but
clinical
sounding vs tube amps.

Like home hi fi amps guitar amps made with tubes generate

Euphonic
distortion, that is distortion that pleases the ear, or at

least
the
person
playing a guitar through one.

Tube amps are preferred by many if not most guitar players

because
they
distort in a way that allows them another way to create.

MOSFET's don't distort audibly unless over driven (or badly
designed
or
broken). For other instruments MOSFET would be the more

likely
choice.

Generally, tube guitar amp distortion is different from that

of
an
audio
tube amp.
It is purposefully accentuated.

Which is the point I was making. They do things with distortion

that
SS
amps
don't and therefore are useful in helping the guitarist express
himself.

Most guitar palyers would find an audio tube amp, outfitted with
appropriate
inputs, useless.

So do most audiophiles, but that's not the point I was making.

Tubes
distort. The distortion of tube amp that a guitar player might use

is
useful for creating music. The distortion an tube used in a home

hi-fi
creates, is just distortion. That some persons like that distortion

is
their choice.

It is not the same distortion, so please don't compare them.

Of course it is. Tubes are tubes and they have specific

characteristics,
one of them is how they clip.

first of all, that is not linear, and second of all, there is more
to the amp and its circuitry than just the tubes.
After all, the tubes don't exist in a vacuum!!!

It just shows how naive and simplistic you are.
If one were to play a cd throught an audio tube amp
and a guitar tube amp, iven the same speakers, it would sound
quite different.

I never said they wouldn't. I said they create the same kind of distortion.
Why is that hard to grasp?

News==----

Newsgroups

=---