Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Monitors - Is More Expensive Always More Neutral?

On 9/20/2018 3:06 PM, James Price wrote:
I think there's a presumption by many that the more expensive
a monitor is, the more honest and neutral it is. In your opinion,
is that true?

As an aside, I assume more neutral doesn't equate to more
pleasing, as honesty isn't necessarily flattering.

The purpose of studio monitors has historically been to make problems in
the recording process audible, so they didn't have flat frequency
frequency interference between drivers. And, no, I wouldn't call most of
them pleasant for casual listening.

--
best regards,

Neil