Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default HEY GUYS, WHAT'S NEW?

Greg that sucks. You gotta get back into the game, man.

I just turned 42 and I have a theory (I'm sure I'm the only one who believes
this) that loud bass and a powerfull system keeps you young!!!

OK, it's only a theory.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Hi all. I haven't been on this group for quite a while and I hope all the
old regulars are doing fine. I'd love to hear from some of you.

As far as changes in my system, I had a very unfortunate event happen four
months ago as my subwoofers and enclosure were stolen. They were a pair
of
12" MTX MXS (identical to the 7500 series). It happened while I was at
work
and it was really partly my fault as it was a hot day and I had left my
windows open a few inches to keep the car from getting too hot. Someone
just reached in and unlocked the car.

Fortunately, though, that's all they got as my amps are well secured to
the
car but the sub enclosure really only had a couple of screws holding it in
place so it didn't move around, but I imagine they proably had no trouble
yanking it out. Again, you have to look at the bright side and the fact
they didn't get my Alpine 9855 HU or any of my four amps: a vintage
Rockford
112.2 X 2 RMS to drive my front mids (a pair of Alpine 6.5" type R's), a
Phoenix Gold 50 watts X 2 RMS to drive my front tweets (a pair of Alpine
type R tweets), my 50 watt X 2 RMS Jensen amp to power my rear fill and
lastly my pride and joy....an Alpine MRV-850 Class D (800-1000 watts RMS)
drive my subs.

I had just bought a new Sansa with a large memory capacity and my wife was
not real excited about the prospect of spending another $500 on a pair of
good subs. I had a spare dual 15" sealed subwoofer box (very large) just
laying around so I just decided to buy a pair of 15" subs. I bought a
pair
of 15" Power Accoustic subs and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. Although I have
always used 5 farads of capacitence, my alternator on my '99 Forrester
does
not put out a whole lot of extra current and NOBODY (believe me, I spent a
whole day once checking on this) makes a HO alternator for my car model.
These 15" subs are much more efficient than my old MTX 12"'s and now my
bass
is startingly LOUDER!!! They are also pretty tight and can play lower
than
my 12's as well.

In the past I have believed that low price subs will inevitably sound like
****. But although these were only $50 per sub they sound GREAT. It also
helps that I can low-pass them over quite low (60-70Hz) as my front
midbass
drivers can pick-up the slack by pumping out the midbass 90Hz and above.
Those Alpine drivers are incredible but need LOTS of power to sound their
best.

Anyway, I have sort-of rediscovered the joys of THROBBING low bass as I
can
crank these babies playing ANYTHING (like Bass Mekanik) and they don't
seem
to even break a sweat (unlike my MTX subs that definately had their limits
at lower frequencies, i.e. below 35-40Hz).

But besides new subs, my system remains pretty much the same and sounds
perfect, IMHO.

Anyway, that's what's been going on with my car. Of course, like many of
you, I only use portable MP3 players anymore in my car. Discs have always
sucked (they skip, get damaged, ect.) and I love these new high capacity
flash drive players.

Take care,

My trucks HU broke. I sold my Datsun, now I'm left with a stock Cavilier.

greg