Wessel Dirksen

Default B&W Nautilus 804 inner wiring modification

"Guruguru" wrote in message
(Nousaine) wrote in message

"Wessel Dirksen"
wrote:

wrote in message

My questions stand as is, if there is no reason to think otherwise,

the
wire is as good for it's purpose as it gets, possible exceptions

being
such things as the gauge is too small etc. , but this would be

revealed in
answering the questions. If one thinks the wire lacks the majic

ingredient
known only to exist in wire other then that used in the speaker, well

what
can one say; and how exactly does one not know it does not exist in

the
existing wire and in spades. The manufacture would have to be very
desperate for cash to skimp on a few inches of wire gauge, in which

case
the entire design would be suspect and support for tossing the

product
well considered. A more likely diagnosis in this instance is audio
nervosa.

I agree with this :-)

All factories for all kinds of products, excepting exotica, scimp all

the
time to bring their product into budget which is a must in a

competitive
economy. The production cost of a speaker is typically about 15 to 20%

of
its MSRP which doesn't leave much room for splurging. Then the

designer's
proverbial woody from his proud concept usually gets limp when the bean
counters tell him to make it 25% cheaper. The crossover and connecting

wire
is exactly where loudspeakers tend to scimp almost without exception.

But you can't save much money on a few inches or feet of internal wire.

And
even if you could don't forget that some internal wiring, like

apparently too
small wire or inductor with same, may actually contain a "hidden"

resistor and
your wire substution may actually be compromising a given crossover

function.

Another interesting side of DIY modifications is that while I heartily

endorse
such IF they actually improve the product. But you practically never see
engineering verification of improvements.In the latter regard I guessing

that
the most common at-home "upgrades" to speakers simply involves replacing

parts
(wires, caps, inductors, resisitors) with more expensive parts that

weren't
sound qualilty limiting in the first place.

Hello to all

Well well, you all made your points while I was out.
Nervosa, don't think so, this is a hobby.
Last Thursday I opened my 804 and were convinced to go on with this
project,
wires really are poor and there are many unnecessary connections made
with tab terminals. Before I opened 804, I was afraid that this
modification is hard to complete (glueing and stuff), but it's not,
everything is more or less loose and easy to change. I'm not going to
touch on crossover components, because I have no way to measure the
"end result". Tested Goertz MI 1 gables whole weekend and choosed to
use that (flexible, good sound and not too
expensive)
http://www.alphacore.com/mispeaker.html .
Another high class speaker manufacturer uses also Alpha-core cables on
inner wirings, but right now I can't remember which one.
Seals are also poor, there are actually no seal at all under the
connection panel (it actually whistles when played loud) and one seal
which was under bass was heavily wrinkled.
Maybe newer speakers are finished more carefully, maybe not, we will
see when friend of mine does the same modifications as I do. We have
already compared differences between our 804, he has serial number
around 15000 and I have serial around 3500. Bottom plate is made out
of plastic and mine is made from wood. His spikes are very loose, and
there are absolutely nothing that can be done to improve those without
dramatic changes (bottom plate and threads has to be unattached before
anything can be done). Bass cones are different.

This is not the first modification for me, succeed with Marantz
CD17mkII.
Amp and pre-amp are totally home made. It tooked about one year to
finish those.
Amps compete with Classe CA-100, not with power, but sound quality.
Pure A-class, nominal power 20W with lot's of considerable low
distortion overdriving capability, maybe 50W. Anyway, the power is not
the point, overall sound quality is.

Think that we are having a good conversation here and your opinions
are always welcome, but please do not judge people by "but this would
be revealed in answering the questions". I rather listen music than
surf on the internet and that's why I don't have net at home.

BRGDS
Riku

Go for it Riku! Let us know how it turns out. Chances are that you and all
of your firends will be amased at how much better they sound.

Wessel