Posted to rec.audio.pro
ventolin ventolin is offline

Default Choosing a mic for the Edirol R-09

On 2 Aug, 15:35, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Aug 2, 3:19 am, ventolin wrote:

Any specifik mics I should be checking out?

Have you already dismissed the built-in mics? Have you ever tried one
with the built-in mics?

How much are you willing to spend, and how much haywire are you
willing to put up with? Any mics that are significantly better than
the internal ones will probably have XLR connectors and will require
phantom power. That means an external box. Sony has just started
shipping an external mic adapter for their PCM-D1 field recorder which
will work just fine with an R-09. It costs $500, and then you'll need
mics on top of that. What the heck, might as well get a Neumann
RSM-191. You're not going to give this up easily.

I am willing to spend max. 150 USD to get an extrenal mic that works
with the Edirol. So I guess that rules out mics that require phantom
power?
I read in several reviews that the built-in mics aren't really that
good when it comes to noise if you're recording quiet stuff. But let
me know if you disagree.