WillStG

Default Mackie SDR 24/96 - Hard Drive upgrade?

davematthews(AAATTT)bigfoot(DOTTT)com
I've just bought an SDR, it comes with a 20GB internal drive which I would

like to replace with something much larger. Has anyone done anything similar or
have any idea what's the largest drive that an SDR will 'see' ?

I beleive the SDR will take up to a 120 gig drive, it's not a 30 gig limit
like the MDR's have (or had, I think there's some kind of bios update for the
MDR available that wil allow them to "see" bigger drives.) You do realize if
you replace the internal harddrive you will void your warranty?

I will be recording live bands playing for 1Hr x2, so the 20GB (90min) drive

isn't really big enough. I know I could buy another 20GB drive to plug in the
spare drive bay, but if I am going to buy another drive, I would like to be
sure to fit the largest size possible.

You _need_ to go to the Mackie website and check out the MDR/SDR user's
forum. You will find info there that Mackie won't give you, like that the
internal harddrive has to jumpered as a slave drive and the removable has to be
jumpered as a master drive, where guys are buying the removable "Lian" hard
drive caddies from for under $30, and what hard drives being blown out where
they have experienced work well in practice.

BTW if you want to transfer your audio files to a computer the SDR's usb
connection is ridiculously slow. But you can buy a "firewire dock", and it
will accept the removable drive in it's caddie for quick file access in your
computer. These guys make them http://www.npstudios.com/firedock/

Cheers,

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News