Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default From NASA - tin whiskers - why all your gear will fail

William Sommerwerck wrote:
The only viable options are fossil fuels and nuclear.
Nothing else can produce the volume of energy required.

You miss the point -- alternative sources don't have to. Simply reducing our
dependence on nuclear and fossil energy is A Good Thing.

The question is whether or not it's a Good Enough Thing. If
you're wealthy, you can use alts, with maybe a break even
20 or 50 years out.

Most people aren't that wealthy ( or will have to sell the property
and move ). The question then becomes - what gets traded for the Good
Thing?

ideally, (IMO), we'd like to say "in 10 years, we'll be
to where one erg of traditional fuels costs .080 of
what it costs for an alt. source, because we can
spend $xTrillion to get there." . Then you can construct a finance
model for it. Two curves will intersect at time T.

But we can't do that. So this makes alts a kind of gambling.

--
Les Cargill