Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_3_] Richard Webb[_3_] is offline

Default From NASA - tin whiskers - why all your gear will fail

snip
Seems to me that house paint, for example, would have an immediate
path to a child's
bloodstream, while landfill leaching would be a much longer path,
and RoHS has only
been around in any widespread way for what, 5-8 years, and perhaps
only just recently have RoHS waste electronics been hitting the
landfills.

I would agree with that. i can see where house paint,
especially interior might have a direct link. Toddlers chew on anything, as do pets.

And, at the same time, at least here in the USA much has been done
to stop landfill
leaching.

INdeed it has. Seems to me to be the most sensible solution to all of this.

That, by the way, seems to be the far wiser solution: appropriate
disposal rather
than forced inferior manufacturing that makes devices malfunction
early on.

Yep, again agree. I don't see why the tools i buy should be manufactured in an inferior way just because somebody who
would buy a throwaway device might dispose it
inappropriately.

But, even more important to this, as we become more
technology dependent, i.e. medical monitoring devices, etc.
We place people at grave risk with this inferior junk. But
then, it's for the children. if grandma dies because her
medical device malfunctions prematurely because the
manufacturing was crap she didn't have any rights anyway,
out with the old, it's for the children!!!

I like the children too, with rice and gravy they're great!

RoHS has that dual aroma of crony capitalism and fantasy-result
feel-good-ism...

OF course it does, potential benefits don't have to be
proved. But, we should all plan on replacing all of our
tools every couple years anyway just to keep the wheels of
commerce turnin' ya know. Reliability be damned, it's newer so it's gotta be better.

Regards,
Richard