Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Another proposal

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
i.fi...
"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"mick" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:19:15 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

mick wrote:

For me, any speaker cable over about 3m (i.e. loop length 6m) is too
long

So you don't think the laws of physics apply to cables under 6m long ?

Is that right ?

Don't be picky! Of course they obey the laws of physics. I just don't
agree that the inductance and/or capacitance of speaker cables 3m long
is liable to be audible in any way. Measurable, yes, but audible
probably
not. You'll get far more audible difference made by cleaning the
connections.

**I suggest you do some listening with a pair of Quad ESLs (the old ones)
and compare with regular cables and low inductance cables sometime. You
may well be very surprised. I do agree that 3 Metres is a bit of a
stretch, but 5 Metres is definitely noticeable.

Hi Trevor. Two questions:

What percentage of high end systems do you think
now use first generation ESLs?

**Your strawman is duly noted.

Perhaps 1% ?

**Irrelevant.

What percentage of people use cables of 5m. with them?

**Your further strawman is duly noted.

Perhaps 1% of that 1% ?

**Irrelevant.

Please come back to planet Earth:-)

**Points:

* The old Quads are not the only speakers which require the use of low
inductance speaker cables. There are many others.
* Not EVERY system can get by with high inductance speaker cables.
* Cease making stupid, blanket statements about speaker cables and I will
cease calling you out on your stupidity and lack of experience.
* I NEVER suggested (nor do I now suggest) that low inductance speaker
cables are required for every system.

[ASIDE] Just last week, I quoted a client on a new pair of speakers. He
asked about new speaker cables and what I could sell him. I promptly asked
what he was using and how long they were. On hearing his answer (and,
bearing in mind that his new speakers were essentially resistive @ 4 Ohms
above 400 Hz and the cable run was 3 Metres), I told him not to waste time
buggering about with new speaker cables. This, despite the fact that I could
have made good money selling him something I felt was completely
unnecessary. Had he insisted, I would certainly sell him anything he wanted.
However, I believe that people pay me for good advice, not advice which will
enrich me.

Trevor Wilson