Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Why do singers put their mouths against microphones?

Robin K. Banks wrote:

Is it me are are EV mics more pop sensitive than others? I thought "PL"
stood for "Pop-Sss! Lookout!" That being said, singers with good
technique love them because of the extended distance proximity lows I
suppose, and learn to work it for maximum effect. Ronnie Van Zant can be
seen using them for example when he wasn't using a 57.

Well, try an RE-55 some time! You couldn't pop it if you tried! Mind
you, there's absolutely zero proximity effect....

Anyways, some singers with good technique use the proximity effect to
fatten up the low end on their voice on certain passages so it does not
sound thin. Those with lousy mic chops do it because they saw a good
singer do it, but had no idea why I think.

I think for people to be able to do this, they have to be able to hear
exactly what they sound like. Sadly, very few monitoring systems are good
enough for singers to be able to get a sense of this.

Good monitoring also prevents popping....