Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

Default Sports Bar Hum Job Questions

On Mar 19, 8:49 am, (hank alrich) wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:

Do you have one of those electrician's $6 plug-in line and grounding
checkers? Lowes and HD have them, as do many hardware and all electrical
supply houses. I wouldn't be surprised if Walgreen's had them but I've never
seen one there, ;-)

Yep, and it doesn'[t say much except that all the lines are connected.
The proper lights light-up, but those don't give voltage readings.

Hank, something is seriously amiss.Those little outlet checkers use
neon lamps which require greater than 60~90V to light. If the outlet
checker's Ground lamp indicates OK but your measurements say Hot to
Ground is 6.4V then there is a conflict here. Both can't be true. One
trick to watch out for: some schmucks will run a wire from the neutral
to the ground on the back side of outlet, so from the outside it
checks ok. As long as the neutral doesn't fail anywhere in the
circuit, it appears to work but is very unsafe.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos