Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Always wanted to try a Mac.

geoff wrote:
On 26/04/2019 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of "why?".

The expression is "hook, line, and sinker". He now feels superior to the
plebes. A bit like an Audi driver, or a vegan. It will keep cropping up
early in any conversation that he is involved in now.

The nice thing about the mac is that it has a decent command line and you
can do everything you need to do from the command line. Which, given their
history, is kind of ironic.

Windows is starting to get there with Powershell, but controlling ProTools
from Powershell is not going to be a pleasant experience.

It's really nice to be able to script things and do bulk conversion of files
on OSX. Computers are supposed to do repetitive tasks for you, not force
you to do them yourself.

Linux would have been nice, and there are Linux dialects with pseudo-realtime
hooks in the kernel that could have made for a nice audio platform, but really
pulseaudio is a disaster. I'm still hoping for someone to develop decent
low-level audio support for linux and I'm hoping it happens before the Red
Hat people manage to destroy everything with integrated bloat.

So I kind of think of OSX as a nice compromise... it's a unix-like system
with a decent shell, but with good audio support.

And yes, Apple's obsession with chasing the latest flashy new thing is a
problem, but for a DAW you can just get a system and freeze it. Until a
couple years ago I still had a first generation Sonic workstation for CD
mastering. It was in the studio for 26 years, then it went straight from
the studio to a museum.