Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Jim Lesurf[_3_] Jim Lesurf[_3_] is offline

Default converting WAV file to MP3

In article , Scott Dorsey
wrote:
The advantage of LPCM - flac is that no such judgements are needed.

I don't really see a need for flac. For local storage, disks have
become so incredibly cheap that just keeping everything around as PCM
files is no problem. On the other hand, if you want to stream over the
network, nobody has clients to stream flac and you are stuck using the
formats that people can read (namely MP3 and RA).

Well, as a domestic user I find that my NAS is well over half full even
using flac (and aac for BBC material). And flac also helps when I use a DAP
that only has a couple of mini sd cards[1]. So it seems useful for me. No
doubt my next NAS will be larger... :-)

If I were working in a professional context, I'd probably agree with you,
though.

I 'stream' over my network using a net filing system. Works fine with the
players, etc, on all my Linux and RISC OS boxes. IIUC No need for a media
'client' in the sense you give above, just 'everything is a file'. :-) I'd
probably do the same in a pro situation *if* that was convenient. But
presume this would depend on the context of who else was doing what, and
what others required, etc.

However as per my earlier comment, apart from a few years designing home
audio equipment, my interest tends to be home/domestic audio.

Jim

[1] IIRC one card c400GB and the other 256GB.