Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_4_] Doug McDonald[_4_] is offline

Default The venerable Quad Esl (57)

On 1/19/2011 1:31 PM, Ed Seedhouse wrote:

I heard a pair at an audio fair in Toronto in around 1970 and was not
impressed. The AR3A's quadraphonic sound demo did impress me, but the
big old Klipschorns struck me as badly coloured. Of course I was only
just under 30, what can you expect in the way of taste at that age?
My 66 year old ears might have an entirely differing opinions, but I
won't venture to say which pair would be right.

I've heard those Quads many times, starting when they were just out.

They do sound different. And for some small-ensemble groups,
back then, I thought they sounded the most "they are here in the room".

I have a great fondness for AR3As as I owned them for decades until the tweeters
died, and the magnet-voice coil assembly of one powered the apparatus
that got me tenure.

Doug McDonald