Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Good Idea/Bad Idea - Normalizing?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:19:21 GMT, Mike Rivers
wrote:

I read it that he meant "tracks" as in tracks on a record, that is
songs, or mixes. That's what a lot of people mean by "tracks." Remember
when a recording program was called a "tracker?"

Normalizing a track or tracks within a multitrack project wouldn't mean
anything to someone who was hearing the final mix. It's really no
different than turning up the level of that track in the mix, unless it
was recorded at so low a level that it was beyond the range of the DAW
virtual fader and he didn't know what "gain change" meant.

I think not.

"In my pursuit of improving my recordings, I've taken a few of my
mixes to a friend of mine, to see what he thinks, and I mentioned I'd
normalized one or two of the channels in the tracks since they were a
little quieter than the others."