Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default What's the best digital music-recording program for a Macintoshcomputer user?

On 11/10/2017 7:49 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/10/2017 1:00 AM, Trevor wrote: (in e-mail, but gave a bogus reply
address so I couldn't reply directly, but it pertains to this thread

Sorry, accidentally hit reply instead of followup. My bad.

You are on the wrong track here when talking about "multi-track
recording software.

I wasn't talking about multitrack software, I was talking about the
difference between "true" (who ever came up with that moniker?) and
"virtual" (pretty well established) recording.

Virtual multi-track is only something that came in with digital
recording. I know we both go back further than that, so I'd say the
"established" multi-track recording is not virtual.

True multi-track is where you can record more than 2 tracks at once.

The better name for that is two-channel or multi-channel recording. Even
2 channels is considered "multitrack."

Not since stereo became well established in the sixties, for most people
anyway. Nobody here ever uses the term "multi-track" for stereo since
that time, but yes it's more than 1 track.

Virtual multi-track is where you record 2 tracks at a time, but can
mix a larger number in the software. Most (not all) software these
days can do both given suitable hardware though.

That's nobody's definition but your own. That's just "not having as many
inputs as you want to record simultaneously."

Well established definition here. But as with everything else in life,
people often prefer their own definitions. Still you are the first I've
heard deny the existence of the "virtual multi-track" concept. The
"virtual" part is not a redundant concept for most of us *especially*
anyone who ever does live recording.

Trevor.