Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

Default Damper diodes as rectifiers

In article Hs%hi.77733$NV3.12353@pd7urf2no, Maaark
wrote:

I've seen people use dampers as rectifier before, and I like the
premise.. but something confuses me.

In the datasheets for 6AU4, 6AX4, etc, they state that "use of this tube
as a power rectifier is not recommended".

Why is it not recommended? I don't see any flaws.

An interesting question, didn't the damper diode provide the boost B+ in
old Televisions, which essentially makes it a power rectifier? I wonder
if the "not recommended" might have something to do with the published
ratings being given for operation at the horizontal line frequency, not
power line frequencies?

Regards,

John Byrns