Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default learning from experience

William -

THAT was interesting! I printed out the whole thing to study and show my
wife, from whom the quote I wrote came. I studied him just a smidge on the
internet, to learn who he was and what sort of things he wrote. I think he
was a bit of a humorist in his writings, right?

Too bad we get just one go-around, and all that is left is our writings or
creations. If you are so fortunate to have left something!

And maybe our young-uns. Happy fathers day to all.

Gary

PS I don't think Floyd is a PhD in anything - but he sure left a body of
work!

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"None" wrote in message
"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message

The phenomenon was all summed up by Arthur Schopenhauer:
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,
it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Facile and glib, but nonsense. Certainly, not all truth is ridiculed and
violently opposed. That's the most nonsensical part of it. And when there
is opposition, it's rarely violent.

He's using "violent" metaphorically. As when None violently opposes the
truthful things I say.

It's a convenient but non-too-clever catch phrase, and very popular
with cranks, of course. Perhaps the most ridiculous usage is the way
you have used it: the notion that ridicule and opposition are somehow
evidence of truth. That's probably why it's so popular with cranks.

Has it ever occurred to you that it serves the purpose of (hopefully)
making people think about what they believe, and why? Oh, wait... You
don't think.

It turns out this observation is actually a paraphrase of what
Schopenhauer actually said:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/att...s-of-truth.897

"To truth only a brief celebration of victory is allowed between the two
long periods during which it is condemned as paradoxical, or disparaged as
trivial."