Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

"Serge Auckland" wrote in
:

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As
far as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a
panel. You therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same
for sockets.

It gets worse, some have shrouds that make them half-plug, half-socket, some
even have that topology in the actual conductor too, for extra contact
surface. When I want something that specific, I observe carefully, then
specify a part number the firm selling them would look really stupid to get
wrong because it's their own part code. In other words, is I MUST use
convention, I pick the one the firm is most likely to know and accept, that
way I get the part I want. That's why I like RS and such. Good pictures are
indispensible at times.