Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

Default New Production Tube Suggestions?

On Aug 9, 7:45 pm, "maxhifi" wrote:
The prices for NOS tubes are skyrocketing.
:-(

(snip)

Well, up a bit perhaps - but there's still a good supply of used 6V6's
that test "good plus".

Anyway, back to topic, i.e. 6V6's in P-P amps. They are probably my
favourite tube (from the days when I brewed cheap, simple SE 2 1/2
watt amps with them... radio outputs!) Currently, I have three P-P
6V6 amplifiers and a box of mixed 6V6's from way back that I have
variously substituted in them... The result? With pairs of tubes
matched for only emission they all sound the same. With "good plus"
tubes I get a full 10 watts (I don't push the B+ to the max) With a
pair of weak (but not near-dead!) ones I'm down to about 6 watts max.
on one amplifier (not tried this in the other amplifiers.)
I would not spend any serious money on new 6V6's, just find some "good
plus" used tubes that are failry close in emission.
BTW, I won't get into my 6L6 philosophy here! g
Cheers,
Roger