Posted to rec.audio.high-end
windcrest

Default WMA lossless or FLAC audio player?

windcrest wrote:
Does anyone know of a portable audio player that can play both WMA
lossless and/or FLAC files? I have spent the last year or so ripping
all my CD's to wma lossless for home use, now I am at a loss for
finding a wma lossless audio player. I am willing to re-rip all the
CD's to FLAC and give up on wma lossless if I can find a FLAC player,
but would rather find a wma lossless player. (note, I am not willing
to listen to compressed audio).

Thanks for any suggestions on a player.

--

I found my answer on another group and am following up here as an
FYI...

The Toshiba gigabeat S apparently is the first device to actually
play back WMA lossless without transcoding. And it also looks like
Music Giant is beginning to offer WMA lossless music downloads. I
still prefer to rip from my own CD's, but it's good to know that as
CD's
are phased out their quality will still apparently be available with
lossless
downloads.

I'm going to look seriosly at the The Toshiba Gigabeat S unit over
other "lossy" players that rely on internal downward transcoding to
fool you into thinking you are playing lossless.

Thanks for other suggestions, but so far this appears to fit my
requirements best.