Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default WMA lossless or FLAC audio player?

jwvm wrote:
Why do you care what the format is if it is lossless? Just pick a
player that plays a lossless format and you are all set. Note that you
should not have to re-rip the tracks. Conversion from one lossless
format to another will not result in any loss in quality and is trivial
with commonly available software. Note also that you might also want to
rethink your concerns about compressed audio. Both FLAC and WMA
lossless are compressed formats. Also, the amount of distortion present
in lossy moderately-compressed files is likely to be no worse than
distortion from the player itself. Portable players need to operate at
low voltages and conserve power. As a result, they will have somewhat
higher distortion than home stereo units. Whether or not the distortion
can be heard is a whole different story. The bottom line is that you
should be more concerned with how a portable player sounds rather than
what file types it will play.

windcrest wrote:
Does anyone know of a portable audio player that can play both WMA
lossless and/or FLAC files? I have spent the last year or so ripping
all my CD's to wma lossless for home use, now I am at a loss for
finding a wma lossless audio player. I am willing to re-rip all the
CD's to FLAC and give up on wma lossless if I can find a FLAC player,
but would rather find a wma lossless player. (note, I am not willing
to listen to compressed audio).

Thanks for any suggestions on a player.

I think the OP meant that he no longer wants to deal with lossy
compressed audio such as MP3, WMA etc.

I am actually in the same boat. I'm in the process of trashing my MP3s
and re-ripping all my CDs to lossless as well. My reason for doing it
is because I want only one repository for my music, and MP3s playing
through my home hifi just don't do the system justice. There are better
lossy formats out there but I'd rather not deal with the headache of
possibly finding some other flaw with any other lossless format down
the line. I'll just spend a little more on disk space.

Also, I've given up on MP3s for what I've seen described as the fatigue
factor, not so much distortion. I have found that when I listen to MP3s
I can only do so for 45 minutes or so, whether it be my portable
player, an Iriver, or my home stereo. I used to be able to listen for
much longer. I noticed one day when I decided to listen to straight
CDs, I was listening for hours and didn't really want to stop. I was
re-discovering my music once again. It was quite refreshing.

As for what portable player I'll be getting, there's an Ipod in my
future

CD