Garthrr

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

In article , "Arny Krueger"
writes:

"Garthrr" wrote in message

In article , Carey
Carlan writes:

The other bits provide 256 more possible levels between each of the
16- bits' levels.

Do you disagree with any of the above? It's just math.

GW
This the question I keep trying to get an answer to but after trying
a number of times over several years I have not gotten one. Its like
the question just bounces right off.

AK
It's doesn't bounce off everybody. I for one strongly affirm what Carey said
above. The relevant facts are very compelling to me. It's simply how things
work.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether others do not agree with what
Carey said--whether this is in contention or not.
From something I just read I'm beginning to think that dither is somehow
responsible for negating the advantage of that extra resolution at least in
higher level signals.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney