Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default once and for all...

Briefly, Gary...

The idea that the room should interact with the playback was pretty much
abandoned with the introduction of consumer stereo playback. (I'm not sure it
was ever taken seriously even in the days of mono.) It is a fundamentally
impractical idea, because you are stuck with whatever room you have. And even
assuming an "ideal" image projector could be built, it would be horribly
expensive, as it would require far more high-quality drivers than a
conventional speaker system.

As for "decoding" the ambience in the recording... This has been known for
decades. The brain doesn't do a good job of localizing uncorrelated sounds. If
the program is delayed about 15ms and played through speakers to the sides,
the random-phase ambient components become sufficiently decorrelated that they
are heard as an enveloping ambience. The direct sounds are not random-phase,
and are still within the fusion region, so they still appear to come from the
front.

It's assumed that this "precedence" or "Haas" effect contributes to the
usefulness of hall synthesizers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preced...cement_systems

It's unfortunate you're wasting so much time and money on what appears to be
absolutely useless research, when you could be having a lot more fun listening
to a properly configured surround system. When I play a surround SACD, or use
a hall synthesizer, I get little, if any, sense that I'm hearing the ambient
acoustics of my (untreated) room.