Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default once and for all...

Scott Dorsey wrote:

[...]akes good sense in that situation.

One factor we have not touched on (another can of worms) is whether the
whole of a listening room needs to be treated. When using an empty
cloakroom as a temporary control room for a portable recording session,
I found that it was possible to put the monitors (BBC LS3/5As) at the
same level as my ears and only treat the room at that height above the
floor. Luckily, the rows of coat pegs allowed me to hang several
thicknesses of blankets away from the walls at the correct height.

This was because you didn't have any low frequencies to contend with,
so you only really had to worry about direct high frequency reflections.
If you'd been using more full-range loudspeakers you would have noticed
more of a problem.

The LS3/5As aren't bad for their size at moderately low frequencies, but
I was recording a wind quintette, the lowest instrument of which was a
bass clarinet and most of its output was harmonics. If I need more
bass, I usually take along my big monitors (1 cwt each), but in this
venue there would have been no room left for me in the cloakroom. :-)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk