Robert Morein

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message
I thought I would give you winners another article draft to
play around with. I published this one a number of years
ago, and even had a somewhat different version as part of a
chapter in my third book. To make it fit in with the group
here and be a bit more up to date I have edited it slightly.

Channel Balance and Channel Shifting.

[snip garbage]
Sound
moves at 1130 feet per second, so a distance difference of
only 1.1 to 1.7 feet will achieve the 1 to 1.5 ms required.
Even a difference of a bit less than .5 ms (under half a
foot) will shift the image about 20 degrees off center.

[above=utter garbage]
Howard, a little reminder about the speed of sound. According to the ASTM,
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...re/q0126.shtml,
the speed of sound is defined as 1,116.4 feet/second, not 1130.

This is why shifting the listening position to one side a
couple of feet will cause the sound to shift radically
toward the nearer speaker.

No, it's not. You are incorrectly applying the theory of localization of
impulse sounds to music. It doesn't work that way.

(Moving to one side also causes a
small change in the relative sound levels of the two
speakers but the main cause for the image shift is the
[more garbage snipped]

Howard Ferstler

Howard, you've filled your allotted garbage can for this week. Further dumps
not permitted until next week's pickup.