Mark Zarella

Default Possible amp repair? Please help...

Spend the $40 to have it professionally installed.

"Ben Rakestraw" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a rockford fosgate 800a4, 100x4 @ 4 ohms, 200x4 @ 2ohms. When

using
the RCA inputs to the amplifier, the amp sends a horrible high pitched
squeel to my full range speakers, even with the car's engine off. When
using the high level inputs on the amp, the noise goes away. Using

another
amp I had around and a test speaker, I have determined that the problem is
not the head unit, noise coming into the RCA's, nor noise coming into the
speaker wires. I have also tested the ground by moving it, and it does

not
appear to be the problem either. The sound is not noticable with subs
hooked up, as they can't play that high of a noise. The amp has been in
storage (cold garage) for the past two months. The last car I had it

hooked
up in, the amp made some noise with the engine on (alternator whine), but
never with the engine off.

After my testing, I believe the problem is in the amp itself. So, does

any
one with some electronics background know what the problem might be? Ball
park estimate of what a repair might cost me? I read some posts by a guy
called ampdoc, what do you think? I can continue using the high level
inputs for now, it sounds pretty good, but this is not ideal. Any info is
very appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben