Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default A speaker to drive Bratzi crazy.

Yes, the price is high, but it's hard to compare this system with the
original given the very changed nature of the marketplace. The original A25
was designed to be mass produced at minimal cost. Today that business is all
in China. But the Annandale product is still using expensive European
drivers and US produced cabinets, purchased in very small quantities, and
assembled here. They spend *over $200 in driver costs alone, considerably
more than the retail price of a completed pair of speakers in 1970.

I don't know if a rehashed A25 is a good idea given that it will always be a
low volume niche product which will, by necessity, have to be sold for a
very high price. Time will tell.

Low volume usually means a onesy twoesy man shop with no ISO-9000, no
product liability (not a big factor with speakers usually, though ones
with active power supplies could catch fire and of course Maggies
could fall over and hit someone if they fell apart), engineering costs
a one time consulting fee (i.e. they paid $500 for a Dick Pierce or
Joe d'Appolito half day consultation), etc. They are probably
manufacturing out of a back lot space in a "business incubator" or in
a defunct strip mall- or a suburban garage.

Anyway, $200 in parts plus a cab means if you are paying two thousand
plus you are getting screwed. In my opinion.