Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Default Stero Upgrades for 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara ??? / Follow Up Question..............

I posted the question below six days ago, and didn't receive any comments,
so I guess not many of you chaps have Jeep Wranglers. That's ok........

The very weakest link in getting even near-decent sound from this car is the
front speakers. Even if you buy the adapters and install 5 1/4 speakers
in the front grills, my experience from a prior Jeep was that I could not
get even reasonably good sound from the front. I guess the main problem is
that there is no "sound chamber" in the front, and the speakers just make
everything else rattle underneath the dash.

Possible Alternate?? I have found those "Pods" that you can buy, and put
them in the front floorboard area, left and right. I guess the benefit of
that is that you get some sort of baffle or sound chamber, and you can use a
5 1/4 inch speaker,and some pods even allow for 6 inch speakers.

So, I want to choose the very best 5 1/4 or 6 inch speakers, with
separate tweeters and crossover. I would install the drivers in the pods,
and the tweeters on my dash.

What brands of speakers would you guys recommend please ??

MB Quart ? Polk ? JL Audio ? Others ??

Please give me some input here, and please read my original post below !!

Thanks !!

James

--------------------------------

I just bought a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, MINT, and I have some
questions about upgrading the stereo system.

This Jeep Wrangler has front grill speakers, plus
rollbar speakers. I would like to start by upgrading the speakers, and
then later put in an aftermarket radio deck and external amp of perhaps
50-75 watts per channel.

I don't want a super-powered system, just something that sounds real
nice. I am over 60, so I listen to jazz, new age, some country, and
other types
of music , but not rap or hard rock. Once I get a very basic, decent
sounding system,
I plan to add a powered subwoofer, something like the Infinity Basslink or
perhaps
the Bazooka subwoofer, for some tighter, stronger bass.

The biggest limitation is that the front speakers are stock with 4 x 6
speakers, and
I can't use bigger speakers without mods, but I am willing to buy some
special brackets
that will allow me to use a 5 1/4 in the front as well. The rollbar
systems also uses
5 1/4 sizes. Yet, these are not large speakers, but I need the best
speaker I can buy
in this size.

Can I hear from some of you guys that have upgraded your Wrangler stereos,
and what you have and liked ??

Thanks !!!!!!!!

--James--