Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Default Tech: Carver Dolby Pro Sound Reciever HR-895

wrote:
Ive been having a little bit of trouble lately. The sound wont come
out of the receiver to the speakers. I just don't know whats wrong.
Thanks...

Jack G

Jack,

I've read all of the other posts (so far)and have to agree that it
would be unlikely that you'll be able to fix this unit yourself.
However, there are a couple of things that you can check for yourself,
as long as you are good with PC board soldering and an ohm meter.

This unit was a 'customized' (for Carver) version of a Marantz SR-92
receiver. Carver issued a bulletin suggesting changing R902 in the
power supply to a 47 ohm 2W flame proof resistor, and at the same time
change the 'hologram relay' to their part number LY20240400, what ever
that is. I would at least find R902 and make sure that it is not open.

These amps also run very hot and sometimes the small driver
transistors in the front amps need to be resoldered or replaced. As I
recall, look at Q701 and 703 in the left channel, and Q702 and 704 in
the right. Q701 and 702 are 2SA1145, and Q703 and 704 are 2SC2705. If
they look cooked, you might want to replace them. I'd check them with
an ohm meter first to see if they are still functional. The transistors
can be ordered from many suppliers, among them (in the US) MCM
Electronics (
www.mcmelectronics.com). You should check over the
soldering of that area of the PC board while you are there.

Lastly, there is a reset button ,S801, on the main board near the
center that should set everything back to factory default.

My final comment is that if you don't know how to ohm-meter check a
transistor, or have a friend who does, then its time to visit a repair shop.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics