Arny Krueger

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Within the Nyquist criterion a signal can be produced with
any arbitrary phase or delay until you consider the
quantization of the samples.

Agreed.

Then the achievable delays
become quantized as well and wider sample widths will have a
positive effect on the delay/phase resolution (which
controls the imaging resolution.)

Agreed. I just gave examples of this in another post.

I don't know for sure but
I rather doubt that the ear is sensitive to the resolution
constraint imposed by even 16 bit samples.

I estimated the minimum time delay that is quantizable in 16/44 in the other
post and found that it was
514.18904674492623958124444033093 picoseconds. Not only is this a very small
amount of time in the audio domain, but in reality it is lost in the noise,
due to Shannon's theories. Shannon and Nyquist really had their acts
together back in the late 1920s and early 1930s.