Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past inthe pro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 7:14:15 AM UTC-4, Neil wrote:
On 8/30/2020 9:37 AM, Chris K-Man wrote:
On Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 12:48:08 AM UTC-4, yewyahoo.com wrote:
I'm talking about what one would label as the pro world of recording of material for mass consumption.

Is there anything about a particular arena of recording - pop, classical, opera, TV news, film, etc. - whatever - that you find lacking compared to an earlier era despite all the technology? Or do you think audio recording is at its zenith now?

______
I think our cultural 'zenith' was the years 1965 - 1985.
The best movies, the best TV shows, some of the best
books, and definitely, the best music and best sound
quality thereof. While digital audio is the most transparent
format for capturing and playing back music, it has been
abused terribly, by both engineers and their cloents,
especially from the late 1990s to mid-last decade.

And of
course this led to the format being blamed, resulting in the
renaissance of tried and true analog formats such as the
vinyl LP.

It seems that, according to the comments in this topic, "the best years"
depends on one's age, cultural involvement, and exposure to the breadth
of material. So, from my perspective, movies went from being an art
form, with some of the best examples going back to the early 1900s to a
product marketing scheme.

Pop music was all over the board. Rock and Roll's popularity began
around 1950, and because it constituted a blending of the ethnic
diversity of this country, it was considered a threat to the "American
culture." The "British Invasion" of the '60s was an attempt to "purify"
and divide the country, ironically by having bands do covers of mid-50s
rock. Since Pat Boone couldn't do it with his covers of Little Richard
tunes, SOMEBODY had to! ;-)

There is no question that today's technology is far superior from the
microphones to the delivery material. But, the artistic connection to
real life experience is pretty rare. Heads seem to be fully tucked in
the sand these days.

--
best regards,

Neil

_______
Millennials can embrace their tech - but I embrace good writing, good acting, good composition, instrumental arrangement, and good technique at the recording, filming, mixing, mastering, whatever, stages.

Sure, today's mics, formats, and delivery might be better, but all that's being delivered is super hot slammed-to-**** music, and 'reboots of movies and TV from, again, the GREATEST AGE... the mid-60s to mid-80s. All in glorious 7.1 digital barfospheric surround. So... what!