Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Current 441

geoff wrote:

How do you know which vintage you have ? I've never been fond of the
two oldish 421s that I have because of what I perceive as a thin shrill
sound and very low output, even for a dynamic.

There are three kinds of 421. The original one, which is white, the
newer-but-fine one which is black, and the "improved" model which says
421 Mk. II on the nameplate.

The original 421 capsule is designed to be repaired. During my lifetime
I don't think anyone actually provided a repair service for it, but it was
designed for the diaphragm to be removed from the element and replaced.
The stuff required for that made it very expensive to manufacture, and
making it flat was even more expensive.

The Mk. II has a huge gargantuan presence peak and sounds totally different.
The capsule is not repairable and is much easier to manufacture.

Or are they both broken ? The casing around the stand-adaptor slot
certainly is one one !

If the low end is gone, likely the voice coil has become deformed and is
sticking. This might be repairable by someone with skill, but for the past
few decades Sennheiser has just replaced the whole element. It is a common
failure. I suggest getting replacement elements while you can.

Throw out the stand adaptor that comes with it, and get the flexible rubber
"broadcast mount" that Sennheiser sells. It actually works.