Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Bourns Pot Shafts Not Long Enough!

On 10/13/2018 1:39 PM, Paul wrote:
On 10/13/2018 1:07 PM, Paul wrote:
On 10/13/2018 6:57 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , PaulÂ*
wrote:
What to do?Â* Maybe I could cut off the tip of the
original shaft, and just epoxy it onto the new one?

Epoxy won't work.Â* Silver solder will for carbon pots, but it's hard not
to damage conductive plastic ones.Â* (I mean hard jeweler's solder,
not the
2% kind for Tek scopes).

Back in 1975, you could get replacement pots onesie-twosie from the
shops that catered to TV repair stores, and they came with outrageously
long shafts that you were expected to cut down to size.Â* Those days are
long gone.

Mod-Pot is likely the only solution for longer shafts in onesie-twosies
but you can try doing a search for length on digi-key.

Today just about every pot is a custom item, making replacement a pain.
Which is why I recommend it only as a last resort when cramolin and
rebuilding won't help.
--scott

Â*Â*Â*Â* "Rebuilding" as in trying to fix the original pot?

Â*Â*Â*Â* Ok, I've cracked it open.Â* There are two fingers for the variable
resistance wiper, and two for the center pin.Â* I will try to gently
bend these metal fingers up, so that they touch the traces again, and
then clean with the Deoxit Gold that I just bought (the guy at the store
said everyone swears by it!).

Â*Â*Â*Â* I'll let you know how it goes....but that's a good suggestion,
after considering the alternatives!

Â*Â*Â*Â*

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Ok, it turns out the wiper fingers are not at fault:Â* The
center pin trace is not connected to the center trace!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* There is continuity to both outer pins 1 and 3, but the
center pin 2 is an open, which is somewhere embedded within
the plastic housing!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Dammit!Â* I'm SOL!

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*

Ok, since I'm pretty sure this original pot is a Bourns one,
because the dimensions are very close, would it be possible to buy
a new pot, and replace the too-short shaft with the older, longer
shaft? The wiper/finger metal looks to be in good shape still.

Has anyone ever successfully done this before?