Old November 11th 16, 05:32 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default USB Midi vs audio interface MIDI

In article >, Neil > wrote:
>On 11/10/2016 7:44 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
>> MIDI contains so little data that it its contribution to the USB stream
>> is negligible.

>Well, the amount of MIDI data depends on what the OP is doing. I know he
>_said_ "piano", but some MIDI "pianos" play multiple instruments via
>MIDI, and it can get pretty busy with 16 instruments (i.e. one MIDI
>interface) plus audio. I don't know what the OP expects, so I'm hoping
>that a discussion of the potential issues helps him out a bit.

Even a lot of MIDI data is still not very much data by modern standards.
There was a time when 31.250 kbps seemed like a lot of data but now even
slow interfaces today handle thousands of times more.

You can saturate the whole MIDI pipe without noticing any I/O load on a
modern computer. Back in the days of the Commodore 64 and the Atari ST
there were issues doing computation while driving the midi port, but we
are long past that.