Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default USB hum/noise isolation?

"StudioDog" wrote ...
Meindert

I snipped the red wire to cut the usb power and connected the mixer's
internal USB port to the USB hub that connects to my computer in the
next room. I didn't get any response from the computer ie. the
computer did not recognize that I had plugged a device in, Thus, no
driver instal, and no sound....

Any suggestions? I can't imagine why the Alesis mixer would need to
power its usb interface via the usb bus, as the mixer is powered by
wall wart AC....

I'm not sure exactly how to continue diagnosing this issue, as my
other usb interface (Behringer UCA202) is USB Bus powered, with no
option for AC, so I can't use it with a cut Vcc lead in the cable.

It would appear that the USB port/driver depends on seeing
a load on the power source to detect when a device is
connected. Not programmed to call unless it thinks somebody
is home. Well, that knocked that experiment right in the head.

Of course, we are assuming that the colors connected to
what we think they should. Note that if you are making cables
(especially molded ones which likely nobody will ever peek
inside of), it doesn't really matter which color you use, as long
as it is the same on both ends. I would have confirmed the
pinout before cutting anything. You can stick a straight pin
(or safety-pin) through the insulation to test which color is
connected to which pin. etc. before cutting anything.

Did you ever mention whether there was any change in
symptoms when all the equipment was together in the
same room? Without any extensions of any kind?