Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Default Desktop speakers as headphone amp?

Richy wrote:

That looks nice. So does the AirHead. http://tinyurl.com/d2brw
Though it's more money than the $60 Samson. Wondering how the Rolls and
ART stuff compares.

There really isn't a lot of value to comparing anything but price and
features on these things. They're all about the same, none of them
really suck, but none are as good as using a nice clean power amp. None
of them will sound worse than the receiver you're using now, none will
sound significantly better, but it's likely that any of them will sound
better than the amplifiers that are designed to drive "beside the
computer" speakers.

There is also a third option, which is just getting a smaller, more
"desktop friendly" integrated
amp than the one I'm currently using for this purpose (Technics SU-8011

I'm not sure what that would be. How about putting the amplifier under
your desk, or up on a shelf with the volume control at arm's length.
Surely you can't be that cramped for space. If you are, it must be
mighty uncomfortable working there. g