Stewart Pinkerton

On 10 Oct 2005 00:43:30 GMT, "
wrote:

"Mike Gilmour" wrote in message

Stewart would have chosen both his amplifier and speakers carefully from
the
high-end component selection available at that time using both his
engineering and sonic judgements.

He has stated many times that he got the Krell amp at a price that mad it a
good buy and because of it's reputation it was good to have as an
unassailable reference.

Quite so, and it's always amusing to see the 'high-enders' thrashing
both ends of the same strawman. I get frequent snide comments that if
I'm an 'objectivist', why do I not change my Krell and Apogee for
Pioneer and Bose (although strangely, my 'entry level high end' vinyl
replay gear never gets attacked.......).

Note that they always mnention the speakers, despite *no one* ever
having suggested that speakers don't make a difference. Note also that
these comments are always made by regular posters who are well aware
of the philosophy behind my purchases, so these questions are
fundamentally dishonest.

At the same time, any 'objectivist' who is *not* in possession of
fancy label 'high end' gear is always told that he has 'obviously'
never heard really good reproduction. Fascinating arguments, no?