Posted to rec.audio.tech
Good Music Good Music is offline

Default Question: Impedance matching: adapter for onnecting 8 ohm headphones to modern MP3 player

Thanks Graham, Arny, Dave, & Stephan -

Ok! "Survey Says," connect the phones directly!

When I pick up the 1/8" L-shape replacement plug tomorrow, I'll also just
grab a couple 10-ohm resistors & see how the phones sound with & without,
and if there's no major sound difference other than slight volume drop, will
use them with (even if that means I'm "stuck on stupid" (Stephan, I
saved your info on transformers just incase.)

Thanks,
- Goodmusic

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Good Music wrote:

Don't even bother. Many headphones claiming to be 8 ohms aren't anyway
!

Just connect it and see if it sounds ok. You won't hurt anything and in
any case
a new pair of headphones will be the cheapest and best option if you're
not happy with the results anyway.

Graham

Thanks Graham, but I'm actually pretty intent on finding a way to
specifically use this specific old set of 8-ohm headphones,

Do you know that they actually measure 8 ohms ?

though I don't want to "short out" my expensive MP3 player's amp.

It's *very* unlikely that'll happen. The internal amp produces such a tiny
amount of power that it won't be bothered.

The reason is these were
my grandad's headphones - I just like them and am set on using them,
whatever kind of adapter I have to make :-)

Any adapter using a transfomer will alter the sound anyway.

If it's really important, an external buffer amp will be best.

Graham