Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Interface software complaint.

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 10:22:41 AM UTC-5, Tobiah wrote:
On 11/26/2016 03:53 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
On 24-11-2016 18:19, JackA wrote:

Now, how many "mixers" have a Master gain control? For example, I can mix
multiple tracks in Audacity, but if I find the VU meter being pegged, I either
have to decrease amplitude of each track, manually or automatically, but both
are either tedious or time consuming. I asked the Audacity development crew to
simplify, they suggested adding Master Gain Control.

No mixer I know of - my view of the world may be incomplete - have that, if you
overload the summing, then you're done, just don't.

Out of 26 hardware outputs, only 2 have a meter and fader to gauge the output
level. My other interfaces get it right at the cost of the copy and paste of
some computer code.

In my opinion, back in the analogue (analog) tape recording days, I feel it was best to put as much signal on the recording tape as possible, maximize signal to noise ratio!!

Some did, but used thin, less expensive tape, and over the years, you could hear (layer to layer) bleed-through!

Jack