Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

Default Mind Stretchers

On 5/26/2012 7:36 AM, Audio Empire wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2012 17:10:49 -0700, KH wrote
(in ):
On 5/24/2012 5:46 PM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

snip

Ever watched a classical concert on PBS? Notice how the aural sound stage is
fixed but the cameras shoot from various angles? I find it unbelievably
disconcerting that the camera changes perspective almost constantly; shifting
from this instrument or that group of instruments to another then back to a
frontal view of the conductor, all the while, the strings remain on the left,
woodwinds in the center, brass and bass viols on the right. Now I'm not
suggesting that the microphones should move with the cameras, that would be
ridiculous. But what I think is that the camera should be fixed on the whole
stage as if I (or you) were sitting in the audience watching the performance.
Then the aural and visual perspective would match up. To me that's much more
realistic.

I suspect that might cause bit of a backlash from most folks. I agree
with the premise - from the aural perspective. I just wonder how many
viewers are as, if not more, interested in the visual part (i.e. they
want to see close-ups, and camera panning) as they are in the
performance, and would grouse about the lack of visual excitement.
Having worked a couple of pledge drives, people become incensed about
the oddest things.

Keith