Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Trevor Wilson[_3_] Trevor Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Attenuate highest highs?

On 18/02/2020 9:27 am, wrote:
On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 1:29:45 PM UTC-5, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 15/02/2020 5:32 am, Peter Wieck wrote:
I think you are missing the point. If too much energy is being
dissipated by the speakers in the high range, then too much energy is being dissipated in the high range.

**Unlikely. Assuming nothing is broken is the system (as suggested by
Dick), then it is almost certainly a room problem.

AAT the kind of frequencies the original poster is talking
about, it is almost certinaly NOT a room problem. It would
be about the LAST thing I would go looking after.

**I've read the OP's words and there is ZERO reference to specific
frequencies. The OP could be referring to frequencies around 3kHz for
all any of us know. I see no measurements, nor anything else that could
provide a starting point for investigations.

Room and speaker/room

interaction *IS*, by a very considerable margin, the dominant factor is
perceived audible problems in an audio system.

Not at the kinds of high frequency (10 kHz) the poster is taking
about, no.

**I don't see how you can infer that 10kHz is the problem. 10kHz is
NEVER, IME, a problem for anyone other than children.

In all the speakers I have measured in rooms, and that number is
not inconsiderable, the higher frequencies, and especially that
region around and above 10 kHz, shows the closest approach to the
anechoice response of the loudspeaker.

**Sure, but you are assuming the OP knows that 10kHz is the problem. I
posit that the likely problem frequencies are lower. MUCH lower.

Why? For it to be a room problem, you have to have a LOT of paths
(and by "a lot", I mean the preponderance of all possible paths)
whose length is proximal to whiole number multiples of eithe 1/4
or 1/2 a wavelenngth to within a high degree of precision (maybe
+- a few degrees total phase error), and we're talking wavelength
on the order of an inch or less. Further, all these paths must have
a very low total absorption along the paths.

And, the brute fact of the matter is that there is not a whole lot
going on above 15 kHz anyway. So if the OP perceives that his speakers
are overly bright, we should start there.

I would suggest this will be a fruitless pursuit.

Now, if it was just a LITTLE lower in frequency, like a factor
a hundred times lower, you might have a case.

**I will bet you that the problem can be solved using appropriate (and
inexpensive) room treatments. It always is. Room effects dominate ANY
system. And, frankly, I don't know why you are arguing this point with
me. You know I am correct. What neither of us know, is the ACTUAL
frequencies that are causing discomfort. I betcha it is somewhere around
3kHz. After we see some measurements, then we will know for sure.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au