Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Bose Patrician Dadgummit - ELECTRO VOICE - JBL!

"PanHandler" wrote ...
"PanHandler" wrote ...
As I was reading the thread on Bose 901 speakers I was reminded of an
ELECTRO VOICE system of the mid-late sixties. It was a single cabinet unit
about 8' long by about 3' high and had a convex curved front panel with
ports (slots?) at each end near the mid and high drivers. The curved panel
looked about 5½ feet wide. The model name was 'Patrician' possibly with a
suffix number. It had a 30" woofer. I used to have an old Audio magazine
from the era, and there was a write-up on it, along with a photo. I've
worn Google out looking
for info, but no joy on this particular 'Patrician'. Please... somebody
tell me I haven't lost my marbles and at least say "yeah, I seem to recall
something like that". Mebbe I'll sleep better hearing at least that much!

Would you believe JBL Paragon? :-)
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/paragon.htm
Here is a nice picture with a van der Rohe "Barcelona" chair...
http://www.audioheritage.org/images/...agon-color.jpg

But Bose makes a 1/25th-scale plastic scale model that looks
vaguely reminiscent. You may have seen it in infomercials. Looks
like they get roughly the same $$$ for it as JBL did back in the day.
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06.../bose_wave.jpg

JBL also had the "venetian blind" acoustic-lens, but I don't
remember that it was used on the Paragon system. Paragon
also used the 075 Ring Radiator tweeter (aka, the acoustic
laser). The same transducer was used for ultrasonic vehicle
detection on freeway overpasses in California. At least that
is the story.

IIRC, the EV Patrician more resembled a mono phone booth.