Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Default Denon DCR-470R connector pinout

brianlanning wrote:
wrote:

We're aiming to connect an MP3 player to the car stereo via a cassette
adaptor, but surely a line-in would probably give better quality audio,
so perhaps this connector could be used with the MP3 player instead of
a CD changer !?!
Has anyone got a pinout for it, or know where I can find out more? I've
had a look at Denon's website, but there's nothing there about car
stereos.

You're not likely to get it working. There's probably a protocol or
language that the changer and the head unit speak to eachother. Even if
it is analog (i.e., they're not delivering a digital stream over the
wire and relying on the d/a converter in the head unit to do the
conversion) you probably won't be able to convince the head unit that
there's really a cd changer there and start listing to the line in.

I'd go with the cassette adapter until you can get a head unit with a
separate line in port. Some half-din EQs have them also.

Brian's probably right here, but it won't hurt to try. If you're feeling really
adventurous, you could open the deck up and check the wires going to that
connector; chances are fairly good they're using standard color codes (red/white
for left/right, black for ground) and you may be able to connect a signal to
check it out. How many pins are there on the connector, and can you even find a
plug to plug into it?

Another thing to try is an FM modulator... they cost a little more than a
cassette adapter, and neither will sound as good as using a line-in, but IMHO
they also sound better than cassette adapters, and you don't have problems like
potentially poor head alignment, or the deck spitting it out because the
transport doesn't know what to do with it, or the wire catching or breaking in
the slot... On this side of the pond, Belkin makes one that the whole unit just
plugs directly into the cig. lighter and resides there, so it stays nicely out
of the way.