Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Dual 621 turntable fix

david correia wrote:
I got a mint Dual 621 turntable with a Grado cartridge that sounds fine.
The tone arm is supposed to be fully automatic. But it no longer moves
over to the beginning of the record when starting it, nor does it move
back to the right when it lifts at the end of a record. It will just go
up and down. It plays as a manual TT, but I want it fully automatic
again.

How much of a pita is this to fix??

It's probably not anywhere near as bad as the older idler-drive duals where
everything was mechanical. They were just a horrible nightmare. The direct
drive ones aren't so bad; I would first check the contacts and make sure the
control board knows where the arm is. Get the service manual, they are out
there!

Note that these do have audible cogging and some arm issues; Paul Stamler's
putty trick might help.