Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Asbestos in Vintage Speakers (AR 2AX)

Note the interpolations:

On Feb 15, 11:42 pm, "zibbit" wrote:

I actually know quit a bit about science.

This is not "science" but take-your-pick minerology and/or basic
chemistry.

Don't dissect my words and please
and stick to the spirit of the post.

All we have is your words to use. Choose the word "parse" instead of
"dissect" and I think you are closer to what is happening.

The spirit of the post is that there are numerous accounts of service
technicians that have encountered asbestos (padding, dampening material,
fiberfill, fiberglass, you name it) in early vintage AR speakers.

Where? Point to one please. Point to any one that is anything other th
an wishful anecdote. Please. Even wishful anecdote...

Why are you so sure that it is not true? I've heard and read the
assertions...what are the facts?

The "facts" are based on the nature of batting that AR used. Over the
years, they used both natural and synthetic materials based on natural
(grown wool/cotton fibers) and synthetic (various man-made chemical-
based fibers). I am not so sure they even used fiberglas material, as
I have been digging in/around/through AR speakers for now-40 years and
have never seen it to-date.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/a...a_Cutaway2.jpg

Shows the natural-fiber batting used in the early versions.

"Asbestos" is not necessarily batting, although some batting may
contain asbestsos, and some *mineral wool* fibers may contain asbestos
if it was in the original material used as the base. Asbestos forms
include chrysotile, crocidolite, amosite, tremolite, actinolite, and
anthophyllite. Chrysotile is what is most commonly seen in
construction and insulation materials. It is strong and durable, but
does not come in 'long-staple' forms and so must be "bound" with other
materials usually cementicious in nature, or woven into cloth with non-
asbestos binding fibers. As batting, it is (was) particularly
unsuitable, costly, difficult to handle and for any of seveal
practical purposes of no use or need in speaker manufacture. AR did
not survive for 30+ years in the business by making stupid and costly
decisions.

Lastly, you are engaged in the fallacy of "proving the negative". I
would suggest (gently) that if you are worried about this issue,
simply avoid AR speakers. From a purely selfish point of view, that
leaves more for the rest of us.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA