Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default Hi Voltage switcher for audio.

in article ,
at
wrote on 11/30/06 7:24 PM:

Hi group:

Has anyone in the group found a switcher good enough for high voltage (180
VDC), low current (.010 amps)
audio use. When I say good enough, I'm referring to noise and EMI. I've been
looking at LT, National and power integrations
but haven't found anything yet. I also need 12V @1.0 amp for filaments.
Any ideas appreciated.

RonL

Ron,

I don't think that switching supplies and vacuum tubes make a good marriage.
As Bret points out, spurious noise can be a big problem. Tubes run hot and
SS doesn't do well in heat.

Harder to "prove ". . . I think that you'll get better sonics from a
non-switching PS. The jury is out on regulation. While it is indisputably
a good thing for lab-grade amplifiers, I am of the opinion that it makes
tube amps sound dry and sterile . . . more like transistors.

Bottom line, I don't think you'll be pleased with the results even if you do
come up with a successful design on paper or the bench.

Jon