ScottW

Default Note to the Idiot

"S888Wheel" wrote in message

But explain this contradiction in Stereophile.

They provide eloquent subjective appraisals of equipment including
lots of words on the "sound" of the equipment.

They also provide detailed test measurements.

Sometimes the two don't fully concur with one another. Why?

ScottW

Interesting question. Could it be that in some cases the measured

performance
doesn't really say much about the subjective peformance?

There is almost infinite depth of detail one can explore
measurements. Occasionally my work is to conduct a
detailed performance evaluation of a cellular data modem
in harsh environments.
I can almost guarantee you I can find a deficiency if you let
me test long enough. Last one dropped 10 db in receive
sensitivity only after a channel handoff at cold temps.
Dumb luck we found it.

Maybe in some cases
there were other influences including component synergy.

Still, that should be measurable.

Maybe in some cases
the reviewer was just off the mark.

I think the easiest way to know is the DBT.
If the reviewer is not off the mark, then I'd like
to see Anderson embark on figuring out which
measurement needs to be added to his repertoire
to show the delta.

ScottW