John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Hi, Vacuumlanders.
Just a speculation but has anyone built a P-P audio ampliifier with
the 6080 (6AS7) tube? (twin power triodes used as the series element
in voltage regulators)
OK, why would you want to?... it's low voltage, high current, high
bias, likely difficult to drive, you don't need to since there are
plenty of better alternatives, etc...
My answer: I have several 6080's (mostly NOS); getting bored with
designing for 6V6, 6L6, EL84, EL34, etc (well, not really!); you get P-
P in one envelope; I have a couple of spare universal replacement
OPT's (the Hammond 125E) so a choice of plate-to-plate impedances from
3000 ohm up (low enough?) is easily obtained; two O/P tubes for
stereo; and, finally, the 6080 sort of looks nice!
So, any opinions on this?... including don't bother! g
Cheers,
Roger
Yes & its driver stage neatly side steps the the problem of mu=2. This article was published in Wireless World July 1998. Two other articles in depth were published in Glass Audio 1999 magazine.

If anyone would like to have copies of the original circuits, pls ask.

cheers, John
Attached Images