Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default HD RADIO is no worse than DAB or DRM radio

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 07:17:22 -0700, wrote:

Don Pearce wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:11:21 -0700,
wrote:

If I were you, I would call Arcam and ask them if they still have the
Alpha 10. If not, do they have an equivalent model with Volume
compression? I bet they do.

I have the Alpha 10. It is the purchase that cured me of being an
early adopter. Unfortunately all the DAB stations (except for one)
already compress their dynamics before transmission, so it doesn't
help me that my radio can add some more.

Probably the result of the lousy MP2 codec at 96-128 bps, rather than
anything the engineer did.

No, this is nothing to do with encoding. I am talking about the "make
it loud" dynamics compression that all radio stations do. The big idea
with DAB was that they would not do this on the digital feed, and the
choice would lie with the listener whether to squash the nuts out of
everything or not.

Didn't happen.

Once DAB upgrades to AAC+ you should hear a dramatic improvement.

Nothing to do with the codec.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com